Re: Is this a bug? Sequences and rules - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tommy Gildseth
Subject Re: Is this a bug? Sequences and rules
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Travers wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I noticed that rules were not behaving properly.  I created a test
> case, and it looks like the sequence is getting double-incrimented.
> Is this the way this is supposed to work?
>
> I know triggers would be better for something like this but I find
> these results... surprising....
>
> postgres=# insert into test1 (test) values (1);

This insert is implicitly specifying that you should use the default
value as the value for the ID column. The default is
nextval('test1_id_seq'), so this is what gets inserted into test2 as
well, thus incrementing the sequence twice.

--
Tommy Gildseth

--
Tommy Gildseth