Re: DELETE with filter on ctid - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Craig A. James
Subject Re: DELETE with filter on ctid
Date
List pgsql-performance
Spiegelberg, Greg wrote:
> We have a query which generates a small set of rows (~1,000) which are
> to be used in a DELETE on the same table.  The problem we have is that
> we need to join on 5 different columns and it takes far too long.

You may have encountered the same problem I did:  You *must* run ANALYZE on a temporary table before you use in another
query. It's surprising that this is true even for very small tables (a few hundred to a few thousand rows), but it is.
Ihad a case where I created a "scratch" table like yours, and the before/after ANALYZE performance was the difference
between30 seconds and a few milliseconds for the same query.

Craig