Re: Backup of a big DB with a lot of large objects - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: Backup of a big DB with a lot of large objects
Date
List pgsql-admin
 > > Replicate it???
>
> I'm hesitant about replacing backup with replication. It seems to me
> like trying to shoot a mosquito with a cannon.

One some threads that I've read, some posters mention that once their databases reach a certain
size threshold, backups times become so large that replication seems to be the better perhaps only
choice.

I suppose that if replication is used, one of their child read-only servers can be dedicated the
task of backing up the database thereby relieving that load off of the parent read/write server.

But this doesn't solve the problem increasing back-up times.  Of course, equipping yourself with a
cannon now will really help after your mosquito grows in to an albatross. :o)

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.