Re: Storing blobs in PG DB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Naz Gassiep
Subject Re: Storing blobs in PG DB
Date
Re: Storing blobs in PG DB  (Nikolay Moskvichev <mnv@papillon.ru>)
Re: Storing blobs in PG DB  (Nikolay Moskvichev <mnv@papillon.ru>)
List pgsql-general
This doesn't answer your question, but I thought I'd throw my opinion in
anyway.

My personal view is that in general, binary files have no place in
databases. Filesystems are for files, databases are for data. My design
choice is to store the files in a fileystem and use the database to hold
metadata as well as a pointer to the file.

If you *must* put files into the database, then you can do so, and PG
will handle that many files of those sizes with ease. For all intents
and purposes, PG can store an unlimited number of files. You're far more
likely to run into walls in the form of limitations in your disk I/O
system then limitations in what PG will handle.

- Naz.