Re: Debugger integration - Mailing list pgadmin-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: Debugger integration
Date
List pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> The existing complete-bundle.sh code works fine, and rewrites the paths
> to the wx libraries as expected, however the debugger crashes when run.
> As best I can figure, this is because although the debugger has the
> correct relative paths to the libraries, some of those (wx) libraries
> are interdependent, and when run by the debugger executable, the
> relative paths between them are incorrect.
I'll look into this. One solution might be to symlink the wx libs
into the Debugger bundle, but I hope that there is a cleaner solution.

> To resolve this until a better solution is found, I've modified the
> build system such that static linking is forced when building an app
> bundle. This also has the advantage of reducing the bundle size a little :-)
The only downside of this that I can see is that the pgadmin3 binary gets
_really_ huge (about 200M or so) when statically linked against wx. My old
powerbook G4 takes a few minutes to even open that with gdb..

BTW, I've been working on an i386 binary of pgadmin3 that is statically linked.
If've managed to compile static version of libxml, libxslt, wxwidgets and
libpq, but configure fails for pgadmin3 because it doesn't know that it has
to pass "-lssl" when linking against that static libpq. AFAIK, libtool ususally
takes care of that, and provides dependency information for static libs.

Neither wxwidgest nor postgres seem to create *.la files for my static libs -
Does anyone know if they should - or how to deal with static linking without
libtool?

greetings, Florian Pflug