Re: Arrays instead of join tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Mayer
Subject Re: Arrays instead of join tables
Date
List pgsql-general
William Garrison wrote:
> I've never worked with a database with arrays, so I'm curious...
>
> + Efficiency: To return the set_ids for an Item, I could return an array
> back to my C# code instead of a bunch of rows with integers.  That's
> probably faster, right?

You should look in to the contrib modules intagg and intarray.

In particular contrib/intagg/README.int_aggregate discusses an example
quite similar to what you're proposing.

Short summary: Seems like a win for very static data, a loss for very dynamic data.