Re: PG over NFS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hannes Dorbath
Subject Re: PG over NFS
Date
List pgsql-general
There is GFS2, OCFS, DRBD, ENBD, iSCSI, AoE and a ton of other
technologies. What on earth is the point in trying to use a DBMS over
NFS? :)

In case it's just for the fun of it, maybe consider:
- davfs2
- curlftpfs

> However, I am primarily concerned with safety/recoverability (on sudden power loss);

Well then.. forget about NFS :) What about various replication solutions
like slony, 8.2 warm standby log shipping, mammoth replicator?

> must also assume the NFS server may lose power

A raid controller with battery backed cache and/or an UPS might be a
good start. If that's not an option disable all write caches or use a
filesystem that supports write barriers.

--
Best regards,
Hannes Dorbath