Re: Bug in CREATE/DROP TABLESPACE command - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Garrison
Subject Re: Bug in CREATE/DROP TABLESPACE command
Date
List pgsql-general
Not a transaction block.  A batch of commands submitted to the server in
a single call.  In MSSQL land, I call that a batch.  I don't know the
PostgreSql term. If you are using the pgadmin3 GUI, then I mean pressing
F5 once is a single batch.  Pressing it twice is two batches.

The following will submit this as one batch, and will NOT reproduce the
problem:

1) Open pgadmin3.  Open the query tool.  Paste in the following.
CREATE TABLESPACE bad_tablespace LOCATION E'C:\\postgresql\\MyDatabase';
DROP TABLESPACE IF EXISTS bad_tablespace;
CREATE TABLESPACE bad_tablespace LOCATION E'Z:\\postgresql\\MyDatabase';
DROP TABLESPACE IF EXISTS bad_tablespace;
2) Press F5

However, the following submits it in 3 batches, and will reproduce the
problem:
1) Open pgadmin3.  Open the query tool.  Paste in the following.
CREATE TABLESPACE bad_tablespace LOCATION E'C:\\postgresql\\MyDatabase';
2) Press F5
3) Delete the text, and replace it with the following:
DROP TABLESPACE IF EXISTS bad_tablespace;
CREATE TABLESPACE bad_tablespace LOCATION E'Z:\\postgresql\\MyDatabase';
4) Press F5
5) Delete the text, and replace it with the following:
DROP TABLESPACE IF EXISTS bad_tablespace;
6) Press F5

Strangely, I am unable to duplicate the problem with psql.  I thought it
would submit a single batch if I didn't press enter between each
command, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

If there is a better term please let me know.