Re: Why pgAgent need pgAdmin ? - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Why pgAgent need pgAdmin ?
Date
List pgadmin-support
Ezequias R. da Rocha wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I am having many trouble to install pgAgent on my Red Hat but there is
> so many dependencies because we need to install pgAdmin and his
> dependencies. I don't understand why to run pgAgent we must install
> pgAdmin (an User Interface on a server).

You don't need to, except for the fact that they're part of the same
distribution.

> Our application depends it to be complete and this little problem is
> like a stone in the shoe for us.

Have you read: http://www.pgadmin.org/download/source.php ? It tells you
exactly what you need right at the top of the page.

libxslt and libxml2 are most likely already on your system, as I imagine
is PostgreSQL. wxWidgets may be easily installed as well from
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.6.2/fedora-core-6/wx/

Then you'll need pgAdmin of course -
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.6.2/fedora-core-6/rpm/

They should work out of the box on an FC6 system with X & KDE installed.
We have other binaries for FC5, as well as SRPMS.

Alternatively, you can build from source on a workstation, and
statically link pgAdmin. This will give you a pgAgent binary that you
can copy to all your servers without needing wxWidgets, but may require
a special static build of wxWidgets to build (I doubt thats in the
RPMs). There is a script in the xtra/wx-build directory of the pgAdmin
source tree that will build this for you.

The only potential pitfall with this is that for some reason recent
versions of wxWidgets have required one of the GUI libs to be linked
with the base lib which *might* pull in some of the X/GTK libraries.

Regards, Dave.