Re: Vacuum taking forever - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Vacuum taking forever
Date
List pgsql-admin
Davidson, Robert wrote:
> I am doing a vacuum full on a table that takes up 78 GB of a 79 GB HD. When I couldn't add any more data because of
outof disk space errors, I freed up space by dropping other tables in the database. I was able to delete about half the
recordsin the table, but the space consumption did not change. I began a vacuum full on the individual table on 3/15
andthe hard drive light hasn't turned off since then.

> df -h reports 806 MB free and 79 GB used. Is this enough free space to perform a vacuum? Should I export the table,
dropit, and re-import it?

Yes a pg_dumpall|psql -U is probably in order here. SO this:

pg_dumpall, drop database, create database, restore pg_dumpall.

This of course assumes that your 78GB is actually bloat and that the
backup file is much smaller.

Joshua D. Drake

> I have implemented data retention policies to keep the amount of data in the table to a more reasonable level in the
futureand would like to retain what

             http://www.commandprompt.com/