Re: select progressive total - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brian
Subject Re: select progressive total
Date
List pgsql-general
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On 3/21/07, brian <brian@zijn-digital.com> wrote:
>
>>  From the "I thought this would be trivially easy" dept:
>>
>> I have a table holding member data for an organisation
>>
>> CREAT table member (
>>         id      SERIAL PRIMARY KEY,
>>         applied date,
>>
>> and i'd like to plot the growth in memberships. I'd prefer to hand off
>> the data already totaled, if possible.
>>
>> '2006-02-01', 452
>> '2006-02-17', 453
>>
>> It semed to me that a self join was the way to go, but that route
>> produced some flaky results. Here's my latest attempt:
>>
>> SELECT m1.applied AS date_applied, count(m2.id) AS num_applications
>>         FROM member m1, member m2 WHERE m1.applied <= m2.applied
>>         GROUP BY m1.applied ORDER BY date_applied ASC;
>>
>> The thing is, some applications fell on the same day, so i'm not even
>> sure that this approach would work. Can anyone see where i'm going wrong
>> here? And how can i handle applications that occurred on the same day?
>> Can this even be done in a SELECT, or should i create a function?
>

> you can do this with a subquery:
>
> select
>  applied_date,
>  count(*),
>  (select count(*) from member m2 where m2.applied_date <
> m1.applied_date) as total
>  from member m1
>  group by 1;

Almost. The total column is less than the correct amount by whatever
count returns.

> performance is going to suck for large tables because the subquery
> will run once for every row returned by the group.

Yeah, i realise. In the end, i think i'll do the totalling outside of
Postgres. When plotting the data, i'll be sending it as an assoc. array,
like: '2006-05-27'=>3049 so i need to do some post-processing in any case.