Re: Stats for multi-column indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Stats for multi-column indexes
Date
Re: Stats for multi-column indexes  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Stats for multi-column indexes  (Csaba Nagy <nagy@ecircle-ag.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> Actually, I think you don't particularly need stats for that in most
> cases --- if the planner simply took note that the FK relationship
> exists, it would know that each row of the FK side joins to exactly
> one row of the PK side, which in typical cases is sufficient.

Is it?  What about the other direction?  Currently, doesn't the planner
assume that the rowcount relationship is 1 to ( child total rows /
parent total rows) ?  That's ok for tables with relatively even
distribution, but not for skewed ones.

--Josh Berkus