Issue with copying data from a text file. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Paul Lambert
Subject Issue with copying data from a text file.
Date
Re: Issue with copying data from a text file.  (Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>)
List pgsql-sql
I have a procedure in place that copies data from a caret delimited text
file into a table storing some information.

One of the fields in the table contains an item description which may
contain item dimensions such as - 17" alloy wheels

The problem I am getting when I do my load is I believe due to the
presence of the double quotation marks giving the copy the impression
that it is to include the information following as a single text string
until it gets to the next set of double quotes. As a result, I get the
following:

AutoDRS=#       COPY deal_lines_temp_load FROM
'c:/temp/autodrs_deal_lines.txt'
WITH DELIMITER AS '^' CSV HEADER;
ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(30)
CONTEXT:  COPY deal_lines_temp_load, line 87, column order_desc: "17 5
spoke alloy wheels.^1291.18^117.38^983.69^1291.18^^C^^

The column as you can see is defined as a 30 character field, the load
contains in this column ^17" 5 spoke alloy wheels.^

I note an option in the COPY command to specify the quote character,
defaulting to double quote. The problem being a single quote will also
be used in the data, as will other characters. Is there any way to get a
copy to have no quote character? I.e. read the file and put whatever is
between the caret characters straight into the appropriate field exactly
as is.

TIA,
Paul.

--