Shell script to determine if PostgreSQL is accepting connections? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Ross
Subject Shell script to determine if PostgreSQL is accepting connections?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Is there a simple way to determine with a shell script if PostgreSQL is
ready to accept connections?

PostgreSQL is started and controlled by daemontools.  This shell script
is called by the /etc/netstart script  as a part of bringing up the
first interface.  Unfortunately, it will never exit the loop.

#!/bin/sh
/bin/csh -cf '/command/svscanboot &'
until [ -S /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432 ] ; do
 /bin/echo "Waiting for PostgreSQL to start..."
 /bin/sleep 1
done

Because this is happening at startup before I get a login prompt I'm not
sure I know how to figure out why it never exits the loop.

The purpose of this is that I'm running pglogd, a daemon that uses a
custom log format and a fifo to stuff Apache web logs into a table.  The
pglogd daemon must start after PostgreSQL and before Apache.  I can do
this in /etc/rc.local, but OpenBSD's /etc/rc wants to start Apache
before rc.local is parsed.  Once I know that PostgreSQL is up and
accepting connections I can then start pglogd and then it's ready to go
when Apache starts.

As a side note, the original creator and maintainer of pglogd has EOLed
the project but it works well for me under 8.2.3.  I intend to fix a few
of its problems (it does fine until the backend goes away ;-) and
re-release it.

Thanks,

Jeff Ross

P.S.  Apologies to the owner of the list--I inadvertently sent this to
the wrong address first.