Re: Project suggestion: benchmark utility for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: Project suggestion: benchmark utility for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mickael DELOISON wrote:
> For a programming language, as it would be for GSoC, it has to be
> realized in three month and I believe the utility has to be
> cross-platform (anyway I want it to be). So I think Java would be
> good. I am very used to Java and Swing programming. What do you think
> about that choice? If you feel Java is a bad choice, there is
> C++/Boost/wxWidget/ (like pgAdmin). But with wxWidget, I am not sure
> if a GUI works under Windows and Linux it will work under MacOS
> without hacks.

I just wanted to comment on the wxWidgest-under-OSX part. I works
pretty well, but of course there are some bugs in wxWidgets that
plague only a particular plattform. And since OSX seems to be one
of the lesser used one, there appear to be more bugs of this kind.

But if you grep through the pgAdmin3 sources, you'll find only
little OSX-specific code.

One nice thing about wxWidgets is that applications that use if
feel like native applications on the platforms that wxWidgets
supports. Java-GUIs often feel rather alien, at least IMHO.

greetings, Florian Pflug