Re: How to enforce uniqueness when NULL values are present? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christian Schröder
Subject Re: How to enforce uniqueness when NULL values are present?
Date
List pgsql-general
Thank you for your tips. I think I will change the tables and use some
minimal date instead of a null value to represent a constraint that is
valid all the time. An additional advantage of this approach is that I
can then make sure that the time intervals (I not only have a start
date, but also an end date) don't overlap.
Nevertheless, I think that there are some examples where a null value
does not exactly mean "unknown". But this is beyond the scope of this
discussion.

Regards,
    Christian

--
Deriva GmbH                         Tel.: +49 551 489500-42
Financial IT and Consulting         Fax:  +49 551 489500-91

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer