Re: import CSV file - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From T E Schmitz
Subject Re: import CSV file
Date
List pgsql-sql
Rodrigo De León wrote:
> On 3/13/07, T E Schmitz <mailreg@numerixtechnology.de> wrote:
>
>> This is pretty ingenious!
>> Just a few minor problems:
>> - how does COPY know which column is which?
>> - how do I specify DELIMITER as TAB?
>

> See:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-copy.html

Thank you for the links. I had read of the manual entry for the COPY
command and I know that I need something like

psql -h lolek  -U tes -d stockmarket -c "copy history from STDIN
DELIMITER AS TAB CSV" < /tmp/FTSE.csv

My problem is how to specify the tab character on the command line
seeing as the COPY command is already enclosed in quotes.
When creating CSV output I use -F $'\t' on Unix. However,
DELIMITER AS $'\t' doesn't work.

--

Regards,

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz