Re: Auto creation of Partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>> Maybe. The most obvious use for automatic partitioning that I can
>> think of would be based in the value of a timestamptz field rather
>> than any PK. Of course I tend to work more in the OLTP field than in
>> DW type apps, where other considerations might apply.
>
> I second that - partitioning on some kind of timestamp field is a
> common usecase here too ...
Partitioning period needs to work. It doesn't matter what the user
chooses as their partition key. Timestamp is an obvious
choice but there are others such as serial where you just partition
every million rows (for example) to keep things manageable.

Joshua D. Drake