Re: Auto creation of Partitions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>> But when I say
>> CREATE TABLE ( a int PRIMARY KEY, ... ) PARTITION blah ...
>> then I expect that the primary key will be enforced across all
>> partitions.  We currently sidestep that issue by not offering seemingly
>> transparent partitioning.  But if you are planning to offer that, the
>> unique index issue needs to be solved, and I see nothing in your plan
>> about that.
>>

> Agreed, it needs to Just Work.  I think it'd still be useful though
> if we only support auto-partitioning on the primary key, and that
> restriction avoids the indexing problem.

Maybe. The most obvious use for automatic partitioning that I can think
of would be based in the value of a timestamptz field rather than any
PK. Of course I tend to work more in the OLTP field than in DW type
apps, where other considerations might apply.

cheers

andrew