Re: postgresql vs mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: postgresql vs mysql
Date
List pgsql-general
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:16:24 +0800
> Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my> wrote:
>
>> Want transactions? Use innoDB. Want to restore a multi-gigabyte
>> database fast from backups, sure use MyISAM (too many people seem to
>> have probs doing that with innoDB).
>
> sure you want to do this?
>
> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=11151
>
> I won't trust a database who prefers speed over data integrity even if
> it's named "transaction".

"
[6 Apr 2006 20:50] Chad MILLER

This is behavior that we can not fix.  Extremely large transactions cause
several storage engines to behave very poorly, and we consider that more
important than making the rare "load data infile" transaction-safe.

This must be documented, since it is surprising behavior.
"

I'll say it's surprising. I must say I thought they'd left the
"transactions not important" approach behind some time ago. Clearly not.
Ho hum - doesn't affect me much any more I suppose.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd