Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant
Date
Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2007, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>> To add a little to this - forgetting the scan resistant point for the
>> moment... cranking down shared_buffers to be smaller than the L2 cache
>> seems to help *any* sequential scan immensely, even on quite modest HW:
>>
> (snipped)
>> When I've profiled this activity, I've seen a lot of time spent
>> searching for/allocating a new buffer for each page being fetched.
>> Obviously having less of them to search through will help, but having
>> less than the L2 cache-size worth of 'em seems to help a whole lot!
>
> Could you demonstrate that point by showing us timings for shared_buffers
> sizes from 512K up to, say, 2 MB? The two numbers you give there might
> just have to do with managing a large buffer.

Yeah - good point:

PIII 1.26 Ghz 512Kb L2 cache 2G RAM

Test is elapsed time for: SELECT count(*) FROM lineitem

lineitem has 1535724 pages (11997 MB)

Shared Buffers  Elapsed  IO rate (from vmstat)
--------------  -------  ---------------------
400MB           101 s    122 MB/s

2MB             100 s
1MB              97 s
768KB            93 s
512KB            86 s
256KB            77 s
128KB            74 s    166 MB/s

I've added the observed IO rate for the two extreme cases (the rest can
be pretty much deduced via interpolation).

Note that the system will do about 220 MB/s with the now (in)famous dd
test, so we have a bit of headroom (not too bad for a PIII).

Cheers

Mark