Re: real multi-master replication? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Subject Re: real multi-master replication?
Date
List pgsql-general
Bill Moran wrote:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> wrote:
>> Bill Moran wrote:

>>> Have you looked at pgpool?
>> afaik pgpool is statement based and not really multimaster either ...
>
> Well, it's multi-master to the degree that all servers are read/write,
> and therefore any server can take over.

not sure I follow - pgpool will simply replay the queries to each
backend-server that are going through it.
You cannot directly write to the servers (well you can - but that will
likely cause inconsistent data) - and you have all the problems with
non-determinstic queries as well as problems of getting a node back in
sync after a downtime or connection loss.

> How would you define multi-master?

for true multimaster one would expect to be able to write to all the
nodes and keep the data consistent/sync or have some sort of conflict
resolution for an async solution.

Stefan