Re: How to union table without union statement? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Shane Ambler
Subject Re: How to union table without union statement?
Date
List pgsql-sql
calendarw wrote:
> [...]
>
> I am using the following query now, but the time is too slow.  could anyone
> can help me?
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW alllogview AS
> ((((((( SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, a_alarmtbl.occurtime,
> a_alarmtbl.restoretime, a_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype,
> alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2, alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM a_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE a_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text
> UNION ALL
> SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, b_alarmtbl.occurtime, b_alarmtbl.restoretime,
> b_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype, alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2,
> alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM b_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE b_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text)
> UNION ALL
> SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, c_alarmtbl.occurtime, c_alarmtbl.restoretime,
> c_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype, alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2,
> alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM c_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE c_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text)
> UNION ALL
> SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, d_alarmtbl.occurtime, d_alarmtbl.restoretime,
> d_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype, alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2,
> alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM d_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE d_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text)
> UNION ALL
> SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, e_alarmtbl.occurtime, e_alarmtbl.restoretime,
> e_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype, alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2,
> alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM e_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE e_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text)
> UNION ALL
> SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, f_alarmtbl.occurtime, f_alarmtbl.restoretime,
> f_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype, alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2,
> alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM f_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE f_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text)
> UNION ALL
> SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, g_alarmtbl.occurtime, g_alarmtbl.restoretime,
> g_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype, alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2,
> alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM g_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE g_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text)
> UNION ALL
> SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, h_alarmtbl.occurtime, h_alarmtbl.restoretime,
> h_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype, alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2,
> alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM h_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE h_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text)
> UNION ALL
> SELECT alarmdtl.tagname, i_alarmtbl.occurtime, i_alarmtbl.restoretime,
> i_alarmtbl.ack, alarmdtl.alarmtype, alarmdtl.alarmmsg1, alarmdtl.alarmmsg2,
> alarmdtl.alarmloc
>   FROM i_alarmtbl, alarmdtl
>  WHERE i_alarmtbl.tagname::text = alarmdtl.tagname::text

Have you done an EXPLAIN on the query?
Is there an index on the tagname columns?
If so does the EXPLAIN show them being used?

How many rows do you have in each table (roughly)?

Have you considered other structure options like partitioning?
Is there a real need to have these tables separate? or could you have
them all in one table with an column to identify the source of the log
entry?

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL@Sheeky.Biz