Re: where postgres 8.1.8 log messages go - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists)
Subject Re: where postgres 8.1.8 log messages go
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
/>log_directory = '/var/log/endeavour/pgsql'              # Directory where log files are written<br /><br /> Note the
singlequotes, not double - this could be your problem.<br /><br /> Also note that /var/log/messages is a file, not a
directory. PostgreSQL will write it's own log files.<br /> If you want to use a specific log file, use log_filename in
conjunctionwith log_directory - but note that syslog uses /var/log/messages so don't use that or it'll get syslog
confused.<br/> You can log to syslog as well, if that's what you want to do.  Read that manual page some more.<br /><br
/>I would also not put the log files in /var/log - at least make a subdirectory like /var/log/pgsql.<br /> I've known
built-inLinux rotate and compress scripts to play havoc with PostgreSQL by rotating and compressing it's logs while
cite="mid710787.90612.qm@web53511.mail.yahoo.com"type="cite"><pre wrap="">Hi Andy,

Thanks for the  information. I tried to add

log_destination = "/var/log/messages"

into postgresql.conf, then I started database server, I found that db server throwed the following error message:

FATAL:  syntax error in file "/var/nm2/postgresql.conf" line 130, near token """

Can you tell me the syntax for this?

The document said that " This option can be set at server start or in the          postgresql.conf configuration
file.",If set at server start,

what is the option for this pramater? (for example: -D  is for the database file directory)

Thank you for your help.

jing