Re: autovacuum next steps, take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: autovacuum next steps, take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, to what extent might this whole problem be simplified if we adopt
> chunk-at-a-time vacuuming (compare current discussion with Galy Lee)?
> If the unit of work has a reasonable upper bound regardless of table
> size, maybe the problem of big tables starving small ones goes away.

So if we adopted chunk-at-a-time then perhaps each worker processes the
list of tables in OID order (or some unique and stable order) and does
one chunk per table that needs vacuuming.  This way an equal amount of
bandwidth is given to all tables.

That does sounds simpler. Is chunk-at-a-time a realistic option for 8.3?

Matt