Re: preventing ALTER TABLE RENAME from changing view definitions? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: preventing ALTER TABLE RENAME from changing view definitions?
Date
List pgsql-general
George Pavlov wrote:
> Currently "ALTER TABLE ... RENAME TO ..." results in all views that
> refer to the table to be rewritten with the new table name. This is a
> good thing in the general case, but there are also situations where it
> is not (e.g. temporarily renaming tables for data reorg reasons). I
> can't seem to find a clean way to only rename the table without causing
> change to the view. The ONLY keyword does not work in this case.
> Anything I am missing (short of re-creating all views). I am on 8.1.

It'll either rename in all views, or not happen at all. Otherwise,
there'd be nothing to stop you replacing the table with one that has an
incompatible definition.

Is this something you do regularly, and if so what are you trying to
achieve?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd