Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: SCMS question
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> He didn't say *which* dev cycle. He is just enthusiastic and the reality
> is this project is about 2 years overdue to run screaming from the
> burning building that is CVS.
>
> Does that mean we should change? Only if the people doing development
> feel a need to change. However, there is a distinct feeling of *OMG
> CHANGE RUN RUN* whenever it comes to anything infrastructure (and
> frankly some parts of code) in this project.
>
> It is certainly valid that, if it ain't broke don't fix it. CVS is not
> broke for us, it is however barely maintained. That in itself is enough
> to consider moving off.
>
> The fact that SVN *is* a CVS replacement and does not change most of the
> workflow of existing developers is an additional strong argument to use it.

Joshua,

In my case at least you are 180 degrees wrong. The reason I want to wait
is that I don't want the replacement to be svn. Why go throught the pain
of adjustment just to be in more or less the same place?

That's why I encouraged you to try setting up some mirrors to other
systems, notably Mercurial which looks to very promising.  (It's written
in Python, and has a Trac plugin - it should appeal to you strongly).

cheers

andrew