Re: Recommended Initial Settings - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Recommended Initial Settings
Date
List pgsql-performance
Campbell, Lance wrote:
> Richard,
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> You said:
> "Your operating-system should be doing the caching for you."
>
> My understanding is that as long as Linux has memory available it will
> cache files.  Then from your comment I get the impression that since
> Linux would be caching the data files for the postgres database it would
> be redundant to have a large shared_buffers.  Did I understand you
> correctly?

That's right - PG works with the O.S. This means it *might* not be a big
advantage to have a large shared_buffers.

On older versions of PG, the buffer management code wasn't great with
large shared_buffers values too.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd