Re: php professional - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rodrigo Gonzalez
Subject Re: php professional
Date
Re: php professional  (Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh@pop.jaring.my>)
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Well no. PHP is not a professional language because it has no really
>>> design - and that has nothing to do with the fact it beeing a scripting
>>> language. Its a bad scripting language. (Say namespaces for example,
>>> confusing function interfaces, unicode flaws, missing usable frameworks,
>>> silly type handling, quoting hell)
>> - What do you mean by confusing function interfaces and unicode flaws?
>

> This whole discussion is about a language lawyer and a professional. The
> reality is, professional programmers do use PHP. I would say probably
> more than any other language out there.
>
> Does that mean that PHP is a technically sound language? No.
>
> Does that mean some of these professional programmers are smarter than
> the language lawyers, because they can get their web apps done, quickly
> and have a huge community backing them up? Yes.
>
> Use what works for you, don't listen to others about what language to
> code in.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>
> P.S. I don't particularly like PHP either, but our company website is
> coded in it because no other language (for the web) could have done the
> job at the same TCO.

PHP is easy and cheap to start, so there are lots of programmers using
it, and someone like you, or any other company, can take a cheap
programmer to do the work. Most of programmer use it with mysql, now
this is the question to answer....why?

Maybe there is something else that can be useful for PostgreSQL (this
list is about postgres right?).

Now, comparing MySQL and PostgreSQL is something that maybe does not
make sense....but the question is why most newbies go to MySQL and not
PostgreSQL and say that MySQL is faster, better, easier and so on than
pgsql....

Answer for this is a bit complex, more newbies howtos, more people
saying that is better and so on....

And I dont agree with that, but there is something I really think is
good about mysql installation and postgresql should take.....
You have 4 or 5 or 6 (I dont remember) examples in doc when you install
from package, or in contrib I think in source code.....so anyone with
just knowledge about his hardware and usage can tune it.

Why not put some examples with postgresql about that? for example for
OLTP with 2 GB RAM blah blah....

Just an idea

Best regards

Rodrigo