Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> It's not so big addition to the gram.y, see a list of commands
>> http://mira.sai.msu.su/~megera/pgsql/ftsdoc/sql-commands.html.

As we still to still discuss the syntax: is there a proposal for how a
function based syntax would look like?

CREATE FULLTEXT CONFIGURATION myfts LIKE template_cfg AS DEFAULT;

just seems so much more SQL-like than:

SELECT add_fulltext_config('myfts', 'template_cfg', True);

I admit, that's a very simple and not thought through example. But as
long as those who prefer not to extend the grammar don't come up with a
better alternative syntax, one easily gets the impression that extending
the grammar in general is evil.

> In that proposed syntax, I would drop all "=", ",", "(", and ")".  They
> don't seem necessary and they are untypical for SQL commands.  I'd
> compare with CREATE FUNCTION or CREATE SEQUENCE for SQL commands that
> do similar things.

Yup, I'd second that.

Regards

Markus