Re: postgresql vs mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russ Brown
Subject Re: postgresql vs mysql
Date
Re: postgresql vs mysql  (merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz))
List pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:

> My definition is, "toy used/trumpeted by pseudo-professionals as a
> professional tool, when it just doesn't measure up".

/me Tries really hard to resist responding

/me Fails

I'm sorry, but having just been described as a 'pseudo-professional' I
simply have to defend myself, and my colleagues.

I don't want to start a language war here, and this is the last post
that I will make on this subject, but it's perfectly possible to
criticise pretty much any programming language out there with a whole
raft of reasons as to why it's not a good language to use
professionally. Take perl for example. I have still yet to see readable
Perl code. Unless you're very careful C lets you write code that leaks
or overwrites memory left right and centre with all kinds of security
flaws possible as a result. I could go on with other languages but I
think you get my point.

There is however a point in saying that while PHP does have its numerous
inconsistencies and oddities, it is *perfectly* possible to write good
quality, well performing, maintainable, clean and well designed code in
PHP. Without blowing my own trumpet, I and my colleagues do it every
day, and we work very hard at it too. Oh yes, we've seen plenty of bad
code, but that's the skill of a good developer (to spot the bad code)
and the challenge of a professional one (taking the care to deal with
the bad code rather than just leaving it be). You just have to be more
careful in PHP not to fall into the traps (that a good developer knows
about), which is exactly like a C developer knowing how not to introduce
buffer overruns etc.

This again applies to any language (so no language war!)

OK, I've done. I won't say any more. But please consider who might be
reading before making unprofessional sweeping statements like that.