Re: Checking for string data that makes sense Re: postgresql vs mysql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zoltan Boszormenyi
Subject Re: Checking for string data that makes sense Re: postgresql vs mysql
Date
List pgsql-general
CaT írta:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 09:13:13AM +0100, Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
>
>> Chris ?rta:

>>> Nothing, I just thought of the other way first :)
>>>
>> I would do a CHECK (trim(a) <> '')
>>

> Whitespaces are values too, you know.

Yes, I know. But e.g. for a real people name, would you store
accidentally entered spaces before or after the actual name, too?
Which would also ruin sorting by name. But of course, it doesn't
make sense in every case.