Re: autovacuum next steps, take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: autovacuum next steps, take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Ron Mayer expressed the thought that we're complicating needlessly the
> UI for vacuum_delay, naptime, etc.  He proposes that instead of having
> cost_delay etc, we have a mbytes_per_second parameter of some sort.
> This strikes me a good idea, but I think we could make that after this
> proposal is implemented.  So this "take 2" could be implemented, and
> then we could switch the cost_delay stuff to using a MB/s kind of
> measurement somehow (he says waving his hands wildly).

vacuum should be a process with the least amount of voodoo. If we can
just have vacuum_delay and vacuum_threshold, where threshold allows an
arbitrary setting of how much bandwidth we will allot to the process,
then that is a beyond wonderful thing.

It is easy to determine how much IO you have, and what you can spare.

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/