Re: Column storage positions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Column storage positions
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>> I haven't understood Alvaro to suggest not keeping 3 numbers.
>>

> Right, I'm not advocating not doing that -- I'm just saying that the
> first step to that could be decoupling physical position with attr id
> :-) Logical column ordering (the order in which SELECT * expands to)
> seems to me to be a different feature.

Except in the sense that divorcing the id from the storage order makes
it possible to do sanely. :-)

Incidentally, I'm sure there would be a full scale revolt if there was a
suggestion to alter the visible behaviour of SELECT *, COPY and other
commands that rely on the logical ordering (which is currently, and
unless we provide commands to alter it would stay as, the definition
order). That's the order pg_dump should use IMNSHO - it should never
have to worry about the physical order nor about explicitly setting the
logical order.

cheers

andrew