Re: Slow running to_tsvector (tsearch2 in PG 8.2.3) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Slow running to_tsvector (tsearch2 in PG 8.2.3)
Date
List pgsql-general
Henrik Zagerholm wrote:
> The document has about 194 000 words.

> update tbl_fulltext set vectors = to_tsvector(fulltext_text);
>
> Which takes about 80 seconds to complete.
> The hardware is a Pentium 4 2.8GHz with 1GB HyperX memory.
>
> Is this normal? What can I tweak in postgresql.conf to speed up big
> to_tsvector()?

Is this a problem? How many 194,000 word documents do you index? If you
have many, you might want to separate them into chapters. I think
tsearch2 is more targetted at web-pages or short PDFs rather than whole
books.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd