Re: Howto change db cluster locale on-the-fly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jakub Ouhrabka
Subject Re: Howto change db cluster locale on-the-fly
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Tom,
> Hacking pg_control would be the hard part; you'll never get the CRC> right if you do it manually.  Possibly
pg_resetxlogcould be adapted> to the purpose.

thanks for your valuable answer! I looked at pg_resetxlog.c but I'm no
pg internals' expert - would something like this work?

1) normally shut down database
2) hack pg_resetxlog to set locale to wanted value
3) run pg_resetxlog -f (rewrite pg_control - everything would be guessed
with the exception of overloaded locale)
4) start database

We won't miss any transactions and there won't be any inconsistency in
data because server was normally shut down, right?

Thanks,

Kuba

Tom Lane napsal(a):
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
>>> But I guess something like this would work:
>>> 1) drop all indexes on text/varchar columns
>>> 2) change cluster locale