Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: New feature request: FlashBack Query
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zeugswetter Andreas ADI SD wrote:
> start

>>> Would the xmin exported by that transaction prevent vacuum from
>>> removing any tuples still needed for the flashback snapshot?
>> Sure, and that makes the mentioned lock unnecessary.
>
> Problem is, that that transaction sets a historic snapshot at a later
> time, so it is not yet running when vacuum looks at "global xmin".
> So something else needs to hold up global xmin (see prev post).

I think to make this flashback stuff fly, you'd need to know the
earliest xmin that you can still flashback too. Vacuum would advance
that xmin, as soon as it starts working. So the case you'd need to
protect against would be a race condition when you start a vacuum
and a flashback transaction at the same time. But for that, some simple
semaphore should suffice, and a well-thought-out ordering of the actions
taken.

In the long run, you'd probably want to store the commit-times of
transactions somewhere, and add some guc that makes a vacuum assume
that recently comitted transaction (say, in the last hour) are still
considered active. That allow the dba to guarantee that he can always
flashback at least a hour.

greetings, Florian Pflug