Howto change db cluster locale on-the-fly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jakub Ouhrabka
Subject Howto change db cluster locale on-the-fly
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

we've made mistake and initdb database cluster in wrong locale :-(

Now it's full of data. I've read in the docs that it's not possible to
change locale.

But I guess something like this would work:

a)
1) drop all indexes on text/varchar columns
2) change cluster locale
3) create all indexes on text/varchar columns

or even

b)
1) change cluster locale
2) reindex all indexes on text/varchar columns [I'm aware that before
reindex queries on top of these indexes would return wrong answers]

Is it possible/safe to do a) or b)? How to do step "change cluster
locale"? Where is this information stored?

Or the only way is to rebuild the database cluster from scratch?

Thanks,

Kuba