Re: Writing triggers in C++ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian G. Pflug
Subject Re: Writing triggers in C++
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Jacob Rief <jacob.rief@gmx.at> writes:
>>
>>> I tried to write a trigger using C++.
>>>
>> That is most likely not going to work anyway, because the backend
>> operating environment is C not C++.  If you dumb it down enough
>> --- no exceptions, no RTTI, no use of C++ library --- then it might
>> work,
> I can confirm that it does work this way.

I've written an aggregate function that uses c++ stl hashes, and it
seems to work pretty well. I'd think that using exceptions should be
fine, as long as you make sure to _always_ catch any exception that
might be thrown inside your own c++ code, and don't let it propagate
into backend code. STL allows you to specify custom allocator classes
as template parameters to hash, vector and the like. You can use that
to let STL allocate memory from the correct memory context.

greetings, Florian Pflug