Re: getting postgres to emulate mysql/sqlserver bit datatype - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: getting postgres to emulate mysql/sqlserver bit datatype
Date
List pgsql-general
Anton Melser wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to port an app to postgres and have come up against a most
> annoying problem. The app works with both mysql and sqlserver, who
> both seem to have a bit datatype instead of a proper boolean like pg.
> Alas, pg won't accept 1 and 0 for boolean... and npgsql won't convert
> my numeric(1) into a boolean (and shouldn't either!). Is there any way
> to force pg to accept 1 and 0 for boolean? I know it probably isn't
> optimal, but hey. If there is a standard way to do this (and no,
> rewriting is not an option) I'm all ears.
> Cheers
> Antoine

postgres=# insert into bool_test values(1::boolean);
INSERT 166968558 1
postgres=# insert into bool_test values(0::boolean);
INSERT 166968559 1
postgres=# select * from bool_test ;
 one
-----
(2 rows)

postgres=#

postgres=# insert into bool_test values(cast(0 as boolean));
INSERT 166968560 1
postgres=# insert into bool_test values(cast(1 as boolean));
INSERT 166968561 1
postgres=# select * from bool_test ;
 one
-----