Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hideyuki Kawashima
Subject Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua,

I appreciate your great suggestion!
It is great honor for me if Sigres will be merged to PostgreSQL.
Since the changes of Sigres from PostgreSQL-8.2.1 are not many,
and moreover, all of changes are surrounded with #ifdef SIGRES --- #endif,
incorporating Sigres into PostgreSQL would be easy.

However, Sigres modifies WAL which is the most important point of DBMS
on stability.
Although I myself could not find any bugs in Sigres, I am really afraid
of it. It a bug exists on Sigres, it puts everyone to huge
inconvenience... Therefore, before incorporating Sigres into PostgreSQL,
the code must be checked, and the behaviors of Sigres must be checked
carefully. Since PostgreSQL is a famous and wide spread software, I
strongly want to avoid losing its great reputation. Unfortunately in
Japan, I do not know any WAL hackers except for a friend of mine, and he
is too busy to check Sigres. So, if pgsql-hackers checks Sigres, I am
really happy.

Best Regards,

-- Hideyuki

--
筑波大学大学院システム情報工学研究科 講師 川島英之
〒305-8573 つくば市天王台1-1-1  TEL: 029-853-5322