Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Acclerating INSERT/UPDATE using UPS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hideyuki Kawashima wrote:
> Hello PostgreSQL Hackers,
>
> I have made a modification of PostgreSQL which accelerates INSERT/UPDATE using UPS. The name of the software is
"Sigres",and the philosophy is considering a battery supplied memory as a persistent device instead of a disk. You can
downloadSigres from http://sourceforge.jp/projects/sigres/ .

> In the maximum case, Sigres is 7 times faster than PostgreSQL default (fsync=on) in my environment (CoreDuo 2.66GHz,
UDMA/133),and it is also 10% faster than PostgreSQL without fsync (fsync=off).

Interesting and what happens when the UPS fails? My main concern is that
one of the purposes of PostgreSQL is data integrity. I am all for every
performance enhancement we can achieve, that does *not* sacrifice that.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> The magic lies in usually skipping XLogWrite() and ignoring WALWriteLock. The exceptions are XLogWrite() calls from
AdvanceXLInsertBuffer().In addition, in XLogFileClose() issue_xlog_fsync() before close(). (In this point, Sigres is
differentfrom just simply setting fsync=off.)

> Although I think Sigres can be considered as one of the future directions of PostgreSQL, I do not know whether this
softwarecan be accepted or not. Could you please give me some comments ?

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/