Re: [HACKERS] Full page writes improvement - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Koichi Suzuki
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Full page writes improvement
Date
List pgsql-patches
Full_page_compress is not intended to use with PITR slave, but for the
case to keep both online backup and archive log for archive recovery,
which is very popular PostgreSQL operation now.

I've just posted my evaluation for the patch as a reply for another
thread of the same proposal (sorry, I created new thread because old one
seemed not good).

It compares log compression with gzip case.  Also, our proposal can
combine with gzip.   It's overall overhead is slightly less than just
copying WAL using cat.   As a result, my proposal does not include
serious overhead.

Please refer to the thread "Archive log compression keeping physical log
available in the crash recovery".  I appreciate further opinion/comment
on this.   I'd like to have more suggestion which evaluation is useful.

I've posted two (archive and restore) commands and a small patch.
These two commands can be treated as contrib and the patch itself does
work if WAL is simply copied to the archive directory.

Regards;
Koichi Suzuki

--
Koichi Suzuki