Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp
Date
Re: Proposal: Commit timestamp  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Jan Wieck wrote:
> Are we still discussing if the Postgres backend may provide support for
> a commit timestamp, that follows the rules for Lamport timestamps in a
> multi-node cluster?

No. And I think you know my opinion about that by now. ;-)

> It seems more like we are drifting into what type of
> replication system I should design to please most people.

Nobody is telling you what you should do. You're free to do whatever you
want to.

I'm only trying to get a discussion going, because a) I'm interested in
how you plan to solve these problems and b) in the past, most people
were complaining that all the different replication efforts didn't try
to work together. I'm slowly trying to open up and discuss what I'm
doing with Postgres-R on the lists.

Just yesterday at the SFPUG meeting, I've experienced how confusing it
is for the users to have such a broad variety of (existing and upcoming)
replication solutions. And I'm all for working together and probably
even for merging different replication solutions.

Regards

Markus