Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Modifying and solidifying contrib
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 04:22:43PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> (A) I'm not sure we would have heard about it, and (B) any one user is
>> probably only using a subset of what has been proposed to be loaded by
>> default, so the odds of collisions would go way up.
>>

> As a data point, some time ago (7.2 days) I used to do this as a
> matter of completeness, and never had a collision.

(bangs head against brick wall)

of course there isn't a collision.

The point I at least have been trying to make is that extensions
generally (e.g. from pgfoundry) should protect themselves from possible
collisions with core and other unknown extensions that might be loaded,
by using unique namespace(s), and further, that the standard extensions
(i.e. what we now load from contrib) should act as good exemplars by
doing likewise, with some support given for legacy uses that expect them
to use the public schema.

cheers

andrew