Re: Re: pgAdmin III and pgpass was I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Re: pgAdmin III and pgpass was I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32
Date
List pgsql-general
>> Leave the use of pgpass to the user for use with command line tools.
>>
>> I am not being unreasonable here. What I have brought to your attention
>> is a valid concern that NEEDS to be addressed.
>> In the past you have asked me to make changes to my website and I always
>> tried to accommodate your concerns, now it's your turn to consider one
>> of mine.
>
> That was entirely different - you were intentionally bad-mouthing and
> inaccurately describing pgAdmin in order to sell your own product!!
>
> I do not intend to rewrite this code (which has been in pgAdmin for
> years) on the basis of a single complaint from the author of an
> equivalent, but commercial tool. If you do not like the effects you see
> when a user has a pgpass file, you should warn them in your own code,
> not expect us to change ours to avoid using a documented feature of libpq.

Tony,

I believe you are being unreasonable here for a couple of reasons.

1. pgpass.conf is a known, documented feature of libpq. This is not
something that PgAdmin decided to do willy nilly.

2. It should be expected that 3rd party application that are for
PostgreSQL work the way PostgreSQL expects them to. That means pgpass.conf.

Per #2, that means that your application, should you want it to work the
way PostgreSQL expects, needs to take into account that there may be a
pgpass.conf available.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/