Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tony Caduto
Subject Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32
Date
Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32  (Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>)
Re: I "might" have found a bug on 8.2.1 win32  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:

> What you are saying is that because you don't believe in the pgpass
> design, you are going to summarily delete them - which I know for
> absolute sure would *really* annoy some pgAdmin users that I know for
> a fact have a whole heap of passwords stored in theirs. Doing that
> would only hurt your products reputation, not mine.

Dave,

My product is not storing passwords using pgpass without the users
knowledge.
If pgAdmin III stored it's own passwords in the registry it would be up
to the user (as it should be) to use pgpass.
If they chose to use pgpass, libpq would override the passwords stored
in the registry anyway, which is what pgAdmin III is doing
automatically to my application without my or my users consent.

pgAdmin III is corrupting the intended use of pgpass.
It seems you guys did it as a shortcut so you wouldn't have to write
your own password storage
code which is not that difficult to do anyway.

If you guys are at all interested in doing the right thing you will take
this very seriously and find a way to fix it.

I know you think I am being a pain, but I am just sticking to my guns on
what I KNOW is right.

Later,

--
Tony Caduto