Re: How to allow users to log on only from my application not from pgadmin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Paul Lambert
Subject Re: How to allow users to log on only from my application not from pgadmin
Date
Re: How to allow users to log on only from my application not from pgadmin  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
List pgsql-general
Mark Walker wrote:
> One other thing.  Another approach to this problem would be to have some
> sort of code signing/authentication capabilities for the postgresql
> server.  For instance, you login as an administrator (some sort of
> enhanced privs), you get to look at the databases you have permission
> for.  Otherwise, postgresql has to recognize the application.  Has this
> ever been discussed?

I don't think it would be feasible for any RDBMS to recognise the
connecting application, certainly in my view the effort it would take to
alter the postmaster/odbc driver and others would be a lot more than the
apparent gain from having that functionality.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator