Re: [pgsql-patches] Autovacuum launcher patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Schiltknecht
Subject Re: [pgsql-patches] Autovacuum launcher patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I'd suggest sticking to something closer to the current two-phase design
>> where you make some preliminary decision which database to send a worker
>> to, and then the worker determines exactly what to do once it can look
>> around inside the DB.  Possibly we need some back-signaling mechanism
>> whereby a worker can tell the launcher "hey boss, send help" if it sees
>> that there are enough tables that need work, but I'm unenthused about
>> having the launcher figure that out itself.
>
> Hmm, yeah, we'll probably need some communication channel eventually.

Maybe my IMessages code could be of use?

It's still awfully slow compared with UNIX pipes or even System V IPC
message queues, since it uses LWLocks for sending and retrieving
messages. That could certainly be optimized, maybe even towards a
lock-free implementation, which could theoretically be as fast as System
V IPC messages. OTOH, such stuff is hard to get right.

Regards

Markus