Re: installing pgAdmin3 1.6.2 on FC6 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists)
Subject Re: installing pgAdmin3 1.6.2 on FC6
Date
List pgadmin-support
Willy-Bas Loos wrote:
> Ok thanks, guess i missed that one :x
> So after i upgraded wxWidgets, it says i need to upgrade to libpq.so.5.
> But i can't upgrade, because all kinds of software (i.e.
> postgresql-contrib) still depends on libpq.so.4 , because i'm running
> PostgreSQL 8.1.6
>
> It's not necesarry to upgrade the backend for a new pgAdmin, or is it?
> I know that on Windows it isnt't, why should it be necessary on Linux?

On Windows I think it is necessary, as PgAdmin has it's own libpq.dll -
my version from 1.6.2 on Windows XP is "8.2.0.6338", so is obviously
from the 8.2.0 series of PostgreSQL, which would equate to libpq.so.5 on
Linux/Unix.  The server doesn't have to be upgraded, but the client
library PgAdmin uses evidently does.

I don't know whether the following would work (I've done a similar thing
in the past), I know it's nasty and crude, but it might work?
Download the source of PostgreSQL 8.2.x, and build it (./configure &&
make), but don't do make install.
Find the libpq.so.5 file from the newly-built source tree and place it
in /lib, then sym-link /usr/lib/libpq.so.5 and /usr/local/lib/libpq.so.5
to it.

Andy.